- Apply the writing process (invention, delivery, revision) to a narrative about the past.
- Explore a specific event or situation from the past.
- Illustrate a particular insight about the event or situation from the past that led to a revelation or new perspective.
- Apply strategies to create voice in a narrative about a specific event or situation from the past.
- Revise the narrative of the past through a peer review process.
Hidden beneath the surface of common, everyday objects are insights waiting to be revealed. An image such as a circle, for example, may open a thought process that uncovers deeper levels of meaning. At one level, a circle simply refers to a shape, as seen in the outline of a clock, a steering wheel, or a coffee cup. But at a more reflective level, a circle may evoke a deeper concept, such as the circular nature of time; a family circle that provides a sense of direction in life; or a circle of friends enjoying conversation and coffee.
From a writer’s perspective, a circle might represent the process of invention, delivery, and revision - a recursive process that helps writers rethink issues and refine writing strategies. A circle might also set limits. A "circle of good writing," for example, makes the point that logical, well-developed writing adheres to stylistic guidelines and conventions accepted by most writers.
A circle might also represent a group of people who share an interest or a need, similar to the students portrayed in the videos for The Writer’s Circle. Whatever your perspective, as you enter The Writer’s Circle, always look beyond your first impressions. Deeper layers of meaning await your discovery, leading to insights that will be reflected in your writing.
- What evidence do you see in everyday life that supports the statement, "writing is an extension of living and being curious"?
- What processes help you write well?
- What does your writer's voice sound like?
- What do you expect to improve about your writing skills?
In memory’s telephoto lens, far objects are magnified.