How is an online class different from an on-campus class?
In a traditional face-to-face class, the students meet in a classroom at a set time. In an online class, the students access the class via the Internet from any location and at any time. Taking an online learning course has many advantages such as:
- Increased scheduling flexibility
- An opportunity to study when and where you wish
- A chance to learn using new and emerging technologies
However, online classes are not easier or less time consuming than traditional classes. They require just as much, if not more, time and effort as a class offered on campus.
What does it take to be a successful online learner?
- Self-motivation and self-discipline
- Ability to use time wisely and avoid procrastination
- Enjoy the challenge of learning independently
- Good reading, writing, and critical thinking skills
- Willingness to speak up and ask questions if problems arise, and get help when necessary
- Access to a computer with reliable Internet connection
- Basic computer skills