- Recognize standard safety attire and procedures for performing biology experiments.
- Identify important safety considerations for common laboratory tools and chemicals.
- Explain how to locate and evaluate information about chemical substances using Materials Safety and Data Sheets (MSDS).
- Identify emergency response procedures in case of accident or injury while performing biology experiments.
- Identify common laboratory tools that measure temperature, volume, and mass.
- Describe proper usage and measurement techniques for common laboratory tools.
Lab 1 : Orientation
Even if you do not have your lab kit yet, you can still complete this lab. Get ready for biology lab with this orientation video.
Read Lab 1 in your lab manual, watch the videos, and complete all online activities before completing any graded assessments.
Estimated Completion Time for Lab: 1 hour
Allow additional time to complete your reporting activities after finishing lab.
Part 1: Safety
Both safety videos must be viewed and all safety assignments must be submitted before attempting any other lab activities in this course.
View this safety video to ensure you recognize the proper techniques to minimize risk when performing biology lab experiments at home.
In addition to the biology safety video above, you must also view the eScience safety video included on the CD packaged with the lab kit. This video is also available directly from the website for eScience Labs, Inc.
Part 2: Equipment and Measurement
Answer these questions after viewing the video about ‘Measuring Liquids Accurately’.
Practice selecting the proper equipment for accurate measurement of chemicals.
- Lab Report
Click on the link below to open the "Lab 1 Report" form. Complete the lab report form and save the completed PDF with your last name and lab number (for example: jones_lab1.pdf). Submit as directed by your instructor.
Lab 1 Report
- Safety Quiz
To demonstrate successful completion of all safety materials, you must also take a graded quiz on laboratory safety. You can find the Safety Quiz in the Lab Quizzes section of the Test and Quizzes tab.